Boardwalk House has been a landmark at the corner of Broadway and University since it was built in 1914. The college obtained it from Richard Whitaker, a former Central religion professor, in 1989. Since then, Boardwalk’s 4,500-square feet and 13 rooms housed students and served as storage.
With support from the Pella Historic Trust, Central offered the house—plus $10,000 toward moving costs—to anyone who could relocate and preserve it. In October, and with a proper sendoff, Boardwalk House left Pella for its new role as the centerpiece of a family organic farm 20 miles away in rural Knoxville.
For more information and to see photos of the move visit central.edu/boardwalk.