The Central family and Pella community got a sneak peek at the results of the $2.2-million first phase of the renovation of Douwstra Auditorium, above, in August. Built in Central Hall as a chapel in 1939, it more recently has been the college’s premiere venue for concerts, performances and guest lectures.
Phase one of the renovation included new seating; flooring; lighting and multimedia; recording and assistive listening systems; a lighted sculpture; significant acoustical improvements and more. It has transformed the auditorium into a world-class concert hall.
It was funded by private donors, including a $1.2 million lead gift from the James ’66 and Beatrice Minium Hoekstra ’64 estate. The college currently is accepting donations for a second phase, which calls for the installation of a hand-crafted Casavant Frères pipe organ.
COME ENJOY THE NEW DOUWSTRA!
For a schedule of upcoming Douwstra musical performances, visit central.edu/music-series
To donate to the renovation’s second phase: central.edu/pipe-organ or call Major Gift Officer Doyle Monsma ’83 at 641-628-5181.