January 22 Jaime Miranda ’17 was featured on national news following the breakout publishing of his personal story of overcoming homelessness and achieving academic and athletics success.
Central trustee Harry Smith ’73 produced two nationally televised profiles of Miranda: an “Inspiring America” segment which appeared on the NBC Nightly News and a more extensive feature which aired on NBC’s “Sunday Today with Willie Geist.” Miranda was also interviewed for a front-page article with the Des Moines Register and a feature on the KCCI-TV (Des Moines) newscast.
Thanks to a scholarship from the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) and a paid trip to Washington, D.C., Miranda was able to share his story with then-U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. and provide a voice to thousands of homeless youth nationwide.
More about Miranda:
- NBC Sunday Today with Willie Geist segment with Harry Smith ’73
- Central athletics website profile
- NBC Nightly News “Inspiring America” segment with Harry Smith ’73
- KCCI-TV News profile with Scott Reister
- Des Moines Register feature and video by Mike Kilen and photographer Bryon Houlgrave
- Takedown Wrestling Radio interview with Scott Casber