Where are they now?

What years were you at Central?

From 1979-1997, with some teaching as an adjunct twice more.

What did you most enjoy about being at Central?

I enjoyed the students and my colleagues both in the public schools and in the college. Central’s tradition of being a liberal arts college in the Christian tradition attracted me here, and I have grown as much as I hope I helped others grow.

You’ve always been heavily involved in service work, but even more so following your retirement. Could you talk about the organizations you’ve worked with?

When I first retired, I started as Christian Education associate at Second Reformed Church. I volunteered with Marion County Habitat for Humanity for a few years and later served as part-time executive director for them. I have been part of a faculty group called the Faculty Benevolent Association (FBA) for many years. We started the fair-trade store Work of Our Hands, and I was a shift manager and a member of the board after I retired. Friends of FBA still meet for lunch every Tuesday.

The program I continue to volunteer with is the Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP), which helps people understand Medicare options.  I have worked with them for 13 years.

Your service work has also provided opportunities to travel. Where has it taken you?

While I was still at Central, I directed the one-week summer study programs we ran in Merida, Yucatan. My first trip as a participant was to help build a house with Habitat for Humanity in Alaska. Other places I’ve visited include Japan, South Korea, China, Michigan, Utah, Nevada, West Virginia, Arkansas, the northwestern U.S. and British Columbia.

Much of my travel has been on mission trips with my church.  This summer will be my third trip to Staten Island, N.Y.  Staten Island was my home before coming to Central.

How teachers are trained has become a political issue at the state and national level once again. What do you think are the most important qualities in an effective teacher?

Effective teachers know their subject, and they know their students.  They make learning engaging and relevant. Effective teachers are continuous learners themselves, reading and viewing professional journals and training. They keep open minds and seek to open student minds to the world of today and tomorrow.

What makes a school like Central a good place for preparing future teachers?

Central puts prospective teachers into classrooms from the very first education course.  Excellent faculty and professionals in the schools provide instruction and model good practices.  Principals and superintendents look with favor on Central grads because they know they will be quality teachers.