Finding Joy Abroad

Abby Norman '12 moved to London after graduation and received her master's degree. In her free time, she trains for triathlons. Abby is pictured after the Olympic Park five-mile race with an American flag her English friends purchased for her.

Abby Norman ’12 moved to London after graduation and received her master’s degree. In her free time, she trains for triathlons. Abby is pictured after the Olympic Park five-mile race with an American flag her English friends purchased for her.

Abby Norman’s goal orientation didn’t stop with her three-time letterwinning days as goalkeeper for Dutch women’s soccer team. At the top of the 2012 graduate’s current “what’s next” list: “visit 50 countries by the time I’m 50.”

Norman’s present location, living and working in London for international brand management firm Brandworkz, may indeed make that top goal possible because, she explains, “I’m at 19 countries so far and should be at 20 by the end of the year.”

“I absolutely love London,” she says. “The city is like no other city in the world—it’s so alive with culture and with all sorts of different people. There is always something to do, and it’s a great place to start off my career. At my first interview I could just tell that Brandworkz was going to be a really good fit for me and a place where I could learn and grow in my professional career. I had the experience they wanted from the internship I did for Demarquette Fine Chocolate while I studied abroad in London. They also want me to grow and progress into a more strategic marketing role.”

Although Brandworkz has U.S. offices, Norman says she doesn’t want to leave the London city life and her good group of friends. “I also have the opportunity to continue to play football (soccer) and run triathlons. I thought my playing career was over when I graduated from Central, but I’m very lucky that England has a great network of amateur football leagues.”

Norman ran her first triathlon—also on her bucket list—during summer 2012. “I wanted to make sure after finishing my college playing career that I had some sort of sport or activity to keep me fit and healthy. I have a group of training buddies here in London, and the English countryside is great for cycling. It requires a lot of mental strength to push on but I think that’s what I like so much about it.”

And push on she does.  Rounding out Norman’s personal goals list is writing a book, starting her own business, be on “The Amazing Race, and “to always find joy and excitement in life.”