Gabriel Espinosa presents Celebrando at Lincoln Center

Gabriel Espinosa

Gabriel Espinosa ’79 (center) performs at Dizzy’s Coca-Cola Jazz Club in Lincoln Center in New York City.

On July 15, Gabriel Espinosa, associate professor of music, performed with Hendrik Meurkens at Dizzy’s Coca-Cola in Lincoln Center in New York City. They performed music from their 2012 CD “Celebrando,” a tribute to Brazilian music.

As bassist and vocalist, Espinosa has been looking forward to playing the New York release of Celebrando since last year.

“We didn’t want to perform at just any place in New York,” Espinosa says. “We wanted to perform in Lincoln Center, so we have been waiting to get into Dizzy’s Coca-Cola since it is the jazz club.”

Espinosa and Meurkens were joined by the rest of the recording band for the evening: Meurkens, harmonica; Misha Tsiganov, piano; Alison Wedding, vocals and Adriano Santos, drums.

“It’s always exciting to play in New York,” says Espinosa. “And being able to perform at Lincoln Center is a highlight of my career. It closes the circle of my music life—I love to teach, but I also love to perform, especially my own music. It was a great opportunity.”

To encourage serious, intellectual discourse on Civitas, please include your first and last name when commenting. Anonymous comments will be removed.